Main Article Content
This study aims to striking differences between emotions in the real world, and emoticons of the digital world are the key focus areas as emotions play a crucial role in communication. It is undeniable that the emoticons of the digital world have changed altogether the way language is being perceived. This study also insists that while teaching time management and soft skills to students, it is vital to teaching digital communication (expressions via online). Therefore, it may need to be stressed in the curriculum. Conversation analysis or 'talk-in-interaction, a communication strategy, insists that everyday conversations have significance on the initiator—the method using the Emotional and Social Competency Inventory (ESCI) to get the analysis done. The results confirm a significant relationship between emotional intelligence (particularly on the clusters of self-management, social awareness, and relationship management) and communication skills.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Abisamra, N. (2000). The relationship between emotional intelligence and academic achievement in eleventh graders. Retrieved from http://emotionalintelligence and academic achievement.html
- Ahmad Marzuki, N., Mustaffa, C. S., Mat Saad, Z., Muda, S., Abdullah, S., & Che Din, W. B. (2012). Emotional intelligence and demographic differences among students in public universities. Research Journal in Organizational Psychology & Educational Studies, 1(2), 93-99.
- Aravind, B. R., & Rajasekaran, V. (2018). Advanced technological modality to explore ESL learners' vocabulary knowledge through social strategies. Journal of Advanced Research in Dynamical and Control Systems, 10(10), 250-256.
- Antonijevic, S. (2008). Expressing emotions online: an analysis of visual aspects of emoticon. Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the International Communication Association, Sheraton New York, New York City. Austin, J. L. How to Do Things with Words. Oxford University Press. 1962. http://184.108.40.206:8888/auto/dbfile/91511_1682022_1682022.pdf
- Butcher, D., & Harvey, P. (1998). Meta-ability development: A new concept for career management. Career Development International, 3(2), 75-78. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/13620439810207581
- C. Cherniss and D. Goleman (2001) The Emotionally Intelligent Workplace, San Fransisco, Jossey-Bass, pp. 28-39. https://www.wiley.com/en-us/The+Emotionally+Intelligent+Workplace%3A+How+to+Select+For%2C+Measure%2C+and+Improve+Emotional+Intelligence+in+Individuals%2C+Groups%2C+and+Organizations-p-9780787961053
- Davis, Mark. (1983). Measuring individual differences in empathy: Evidence for a multi-dimensional approach. Journal of personalilty and social psychology. 44. 113-126. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.11
- Davis, M. H. (1994). Social psychology series.Empathy: A social psychological approach. Westview Press. https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1993-98880-000
- Dulewicz, V., & Higgs, M. (2000). Emotional intelligence: A review and evaluation study. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 15(4), 341-372. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/02683940010330993/full/html
- Elder, L. (1997). Critical thinking. The key to emotional intelligence. Journal of Developmental Education, 21(1), 40-42.
- Forgas, J. P., & Moylan, S. (1987). After the movies: Transient mood and social judgments. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 13, 467–477
- Fullwood, C. and Orsolina, I. M. (2007). Emoticons and impression formation. Applied Semiotics, 19, 4–14. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/303137750_Emoticons_and_Impression_Formation
- G. Bhuvaneswari, Manish Swami, P. Jayakumar. (2020). Online Classroom Pedagogy: Perspectives of Undergraduate Students towards Digital Learning. International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology, 29(04), 6680 - 6687. Retrieved from http://sersc.org/journals/index.php/IJAST/article/view/28069
- Hatfield, E., Cacioppo, J. T., & Rapson, R. L. (1994). Studies in emotion and social interaction.Emotional contagion. Cambridge University Press; Editions de la Maison des Sciences de l'Homme. https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1994-97007-000
- Konstantinos Kafetsios, Attachment and emotional intelligence abilities across the life course, Personality and Individual Differences, Volume 37, Issue 1, 2004, Pages 129-145, ISSN 0191-8869, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2003.08.006.
- Losoya, S. H., & Eisenberg, N. (2001). Affective empathy. In J. A. Hall & F. J. Bernieri (Eds.), The LEA series in personality and clinical psychology. Interpersonal sensitivity: Theory and measurement (p. 21–43). Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers. https://psycnet.apa.org/record/2001-01720-002
- M. Rokeach, (1973) The Nature of Human Values, New York: Free Press.
- M. Ross, S. Schwartz, and S. Surkiss. (1999). Basic Individual Values, Work Values, and the Meaning of Work. [Online]. Available: http://www.choixdecarriere.com/pdf/6573/2010/RosSchwartzSurkiss1 999.pdf
- Mayer, J. D., & Bremer, D. (1985). Assessing mood and affect-sensitive tasks. Journal of Personality Assessment, 49, 95–99. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1207/s15327752jpa4901_18
- Mayer, John & Roberts, Richard & Barsade, Sigal. (2008). Human Abilities: Emotional Intelligence. Annual review of psychology. 59. 507-36. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.psych.59.103006.093646
- Mayer JD, Caruso DR, Salovey P. 1999. Emotional intelligence meets traditional standards for an intelligence. Intelligence 27:267–98. https://scholars.unh.edu/psych_facpub/411/
- McCroskey, J. (1984). The communication apprehension perspective. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage. http://www.jamescmccroskey.com/publications/bookchapters/003_1984_C1.pdf
- Morreale, S. P., Spitzberg, B. H., & Barge, J. K. (2001). Human communication motivation, knowledge and skills. Wadsworth: Thomson Learning. https://aclasites.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/sherwyn_p-_morreale_brian_h-_spitzberg_j-_kevinbookfi-org-copy.pdf
- Muchhal, D. S. (2014). A study of emotional intelligence and human capital variables. International Journal of Management Research, 2(2), 167-180. http://www.ijhssi.org/papers/v6(3)/version-I/G0603015054.pdf
- Murphy, C.A., Coover, D., & Owen, S. V. (1989) Development and validation of the computer self-efficacy scale. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 49, 893-899. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/001316448904900412
- Patil, A. S., & Reimer, M. J. (2004). English and communication skills curriculum in engineer and technology course in the Indian State of Maharastra: Issues and recommendations. Global Journal of Engineering Education, 8(2), 209-218
- R. K. Cooper and A. Sawaf (1997) Executive EQ: Emotional Intelligence in Leaders and Organizations, Grosset/Putnam, NY, 1997, pp. 67-79. http://www.worldcat.org/title/executive-eq-emotional-intelligence-in-leadership-and-organizations/oclc/36178615
- Rastegar, M., & Karami, M. (2013). On the Relationships among Emotional Intelligence, Affective and Social Strategy Use, and Academic Achievement of Iranian EFL Learners. Theory and Practice in Language Studies, 3, 389-396. https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/On-the-Relationships-among-Emotional-Intelligence%2C-Rastegar-Karami/ae4cf5a4f030c44e3eac62ac808ef046552bdc12
- Rosenfeld, L. B., & Berko, R. M. (1990). Communicating with competency, Instructor's manual and test bank. Glenview, Illinois: Scott Foresman. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/277883174_Emotional_Intelligence_Its_Relations_To_Communication_and_Information_Technology_Skills
- Sacks, Harvey. (1995). Lectures on Conversation. Blackwell Publishing. ISBN 1-55786-705-4. http://www.lapetitedistribution.org/archive/Sacks_Lectures-on-Conversation.pdf
- Salovey, P., & Birnbaum, D. (1989). Influence of mood on health-relevant cognitions. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 57, 539–551. https://psycnet.apa.org/record/1990-01950-001
- Sparrow, Tim. & Knight, Amanda. (2006). Applied EI : the importance of attitudes in developing emotional intelligence. Chichester: Jossey-Bass. https://www.wiley.com/en-us/Applied+EI%3A+The+Importance+of+Attitudes+in+Developing+Emotional+Intelligence-p-9780470032732
- Stump, G. S., Husman, J., & Corby, M. (2014). Engineering students' intelligence beliefs and learning. Journal of Engineering Education, 103(3), 369-387. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jee.20051
- Subramanyam, K. (2012). Emotional intelligence. New Delhi: APH. http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/ass/article/download/45027/26262
- Westmyer, S. A., DiCioccio, R. L., & Rubin, R. B. (1998). Appropriateness and effectiveness of communication channels in competent interpersonal communication. Journal of Communication, 48(3), 27-48.http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1460-2466.1998.tb02758.x
- Z. Allam (2011) Emotional intelligence at the workplace: A psychological review Global Management Review, vol. 5, issue 2.