Main Article Content
Development of students' creativity has been a prerequisite for the survival in this fast-changing technological age. Enhancement of learners' higher-order thinking skills should be the main concern of education systems around the world. Therefore, the present study aims to survey EFL teachers' knowledge about creative thinking, the activities they practice to enhance creative thinking skills. It also aims to understand EFL teachers' perceptions about the importance of creative thinking activities in promoting EFL learners' creativity. Moreover, it aims to check if there are significant differences between participants' perceptions due to teaching experience and stage. A total of 56 teachers took part in the present study through responding to a questionnaire developed to achieve the aims. Results revealed EFL teachers' lack of knowledge of creative thinking skills. Nevertheless, they showed that they "Often" practice creative thinking activities in classroom. Results also indicated that these activities were perceived "Important" for the enhancement of EFL learners' creative thinking skills.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Adair, J. (2007). The Art of Creative Thinking: How to Be Innovative and Develop Great Ideas, London and Philadelphia, Kogan Page Limited
- Al-Qahtani, A. A. (2016). Do Saudi EFL Teachers Promote Creativity in Their Classrooms? English Language Teaching, 9 (4). DOI:10.5539/elt.v9n4p11
- Bereczkia, E. O. & Kárpáti, A. (2018). Teachers’ Beliefs about Creativity and its Nurture: A Systematic Review of the Recent Research Literature, Educational Research Review, 23, 25-56. https://doi-org.sdl.idm.oclc.org/10.1016/j.edurev.2017.10.003
- Bolden, D. S., Harries, T. V., & Newton, D. P. (2009), Pre-Service Primary Teachers’ Conceptions of Creativity in Mathematics, Educational Studies in Mathematics, 73, 143-157. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10649-009-9207-z
- Craft, A., Hall, E., & Costello, R. (2014). Passion: Engine of Creative Teaching in an English University? Thinking Skills and Creativity, 13, 91–105. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2014.03.003
- Craft, A., Jeffrey, B. (2013). Creativity and Performativity in Teaching and Learning: Tensions, Dilemmas, Constraints, Accommodations and Synthesis, Br. J. Educ. Stud., 34, 577–584. https://doi.org/10.1080/01411920802223842
- Długosz, M. W. (2015). Stimulating the Development of Creativity and Passion in Children and Teenagers in Family and School Environment - Inhibitors and Opportunities to Overcome them, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 174, 2905 – 2911. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.01.1027
- Esquivel, G. B. (1995). Teacher Behaviors that Foster Creativity, Educational Psychology Review, 7 (2). https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02212493
- Fisher, R. (2006). Expanding Minds: Developing Creative Thinking in Young Learners, CATS: Children and Teenagers: The IATEFL Young Learners SIG Publication. https://yltsig.iatefl.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/2006-spring.pdf
- Fitriah, F. & Elke, S. (2016): Teachers' Beliefs about Creativity in EFL Higher Education: Voices from Indonesia, Monash University, Conference Contribution. https://doi.org/10.4225/03/583b9e80080c8
- Hana & Hacène, H. (2017). Creativity in the EFL Classroom: Exploring Teachers’ Knowledge and Perceptions, Arab World English Journal (AWEJ), 8 (4). https://dx.doi.org/10.24093/awej/vol8no4.24
- Haxhihyseni, S. (2015). Creative Thinking - Perception of Teachers in Relation to its Importance, European Journal of Social Sciences, 2 (2). DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.26417/ejser.v3i2.p83-89
- Horng, J. S., Hong, J. C., ChanLin, L. J., Chang, S. H., & Chu, H. C. (2005). Creative Teachers and Creative Teaching Strategies, International Journal of Consumer Studies, 29 (4), 352–358. http://www.mifras.org/know/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Creative-teachers-and-creative-teaching-strategies.pdf
- Hrešć, T. (2016). Ways of Promoting Creativity in EFL Classroom, Graduation Thesis, Department of English, University of Zagreb. http://darhiv.ffzg.unizg.hr/id/eprint/6532/1/Hresc,%20Tihana.pdf
- Hui, A., Chow, B., Chan, A., Chui, B., & Sam, C. (2015). Creativity in Hong Kong Classrooms: Transition from a Seriously Formal Pedagogy to Informally Playful Learning, International Journal of Primary, Elementary and Early Years Education, 43(4), 393–403
- Jesson, J. (2012). Developing Creativity in the Primary School, New York: Open University Press, McGraw Hill. https://www.mheducation.co.uk/developing-creativity-in-the-primary-school-9780335244638-emea-group
- Kasmaienezhadfard, S., Talebloo, B., Roustae, R., & Pourrajab, M. (2015). Students’ Learning through Teaching Creativity: Teachers’ Perception, Journal of Educational, Health and Community Psychology, 4 (1). https://media.neliti.com/media/publications/24806-EN-students-learning-through-teaching-creativity-teachers-perception.pdf
- Kettler, T., Lamb, K. N., Willerson, A., & Mullet, D. R. (2018). Teachers' Perceptions of Creativity in the Classroom, Creativity Research Journal, 30 (2), 164–171, https://doi.org/10.1080/10400419.2018.1446503
- Kleibeuker, S. W., De Dreu. C. K. & Crone E. A. (2016). Creativity Development in Adolescence: Insight from Behavior, Brain, and Training Studies. New directions for child and adolescent development. 151, 73–84. https://doi.org/10.1002/cad.20148
- Lorimer, K. (2018). Creativity in our Curriculum? Teachers' Perceptions, Project, Christian Heritage College. DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.22058.93124
- Mariani, A., & Ismail, Z. (2015). The Elements of Teachers' Competency for Creative Teaching in Mathematics. International Education Studies, 8 (13), 93–97. http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/ies.v8n13p93
- McFadzean, E. (2000), Techniques to Enhance Creative Thinking, Team Performance Management, 6 (3/4), 62-72. https://doi.org/10.1108/13527590010731989
- Morais, M. F. & Azevedo, I. (2011). What is a Creative Teacher and What is a Creative Pupil? Perceptions of Teachers, Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 12, 330–33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.02.042
- Mullet, D. R., Willerson, A., Lamb, K. N., & Kettler, T. (2016). Examining Teacher Perceptions of Creativity: A Systematic Review of the Literature, Thinking Skills and Creativity, 21, 9-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2016.05.001
- Newton, L. D. & Newton, D. P. (2010). What Teachers See as Creative Incidents in Elementary Science Lessons. International Journal of Science Education, 32 (15). 1989-2005. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09500690903233249
- Niu, W. & Liu, D. (2009). Enhancing Creativity: A Comparison between Effects of an Indicative Instruction "to Be Creative" and a more Elaborate Heuristic Instruction on Chinese Student Creativity, Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts, 3 (2), 93–98. DOI: 10.1037/a0013660
- Palaniappan, A. K. (2009). Creative Teaching and its Assessment, Paper presented at the 12th UNESCO-APEID International Conference with the theme "Quality Innovations for Teaching and Learning" on 24 – 26 March 2009 held at Impact Exhibition and Convention Center, Bangkok, Thailand. https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/162007177.pdf
- Rahman, M. H. (2017). Using Discovery Learning to Encourage Creative Thinking, International Journal of Social Sciences & Educational Studies, 4 (2). https://doi.org/10.23918/IJSSES.V4I2SIP98
- Reilly, R. C., Lilly, F., Bramwell, G., & Kronish, N. (2011). A Synthesis of Research Concerning Creative Teachers in a Canadian Context. Teaching and Teacher Education, 27, 533-542. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tate.2010.10.007
- Ritter, S. M. & Mostert, N. (2016). Enhancement of Creative Thinking Skills Using a Cognitive-Based Creativity Training, Journal of Cognitive Enhancement volume 1, 243–253. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s41465-016-0002-3
- Ritter, S. M. & Mostert, N. (2017). Enhancement of Creative Thinking Skills Using a Cognitive-Based Creativity Training, Journal of Cognitive Enhancement 1, 243–253. DOI: 10.1007/s41465-016-0002-3
- Ritter, S. M., Gu, X., Crijns, M., & Biekens, P. (2020). Fostering Students’ Creative Thinking Skills by Means of a One-Year Creativity Training Program, PLoS One, 15(3). https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0229773
- Rotaru, R.E. (2020). Stimulating Primary School Children's Creativity. Revista Romaneasca Pentru Educatie Multidimensionala, 12(4), 431-439. https://doi.org/10.18662/rrem/12.4/355
- Roy, J. (2012). Elementary Teachers' Perceptions of their Teaching Practices to Foster Creative Thinking in Their Students, Curriculum and Instruction Undergraduate Honors Theses. 1. https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/72840081.pdf
- Runisah, Herman, T. & Dahlan, J. (2016). The Enhancement of Students' Creative Thinking Skills in Mathematics through the 5E Learning Cycle with Metacognitive Technique, International Journal of Education and Research, 4 (7). https://www.ijern.com/journal/2016/July-2016/28.pdf
- Simonton, D.K. (2004). Creativity in Science: Chance, Logic, Genius, and Zeitgeist; Cambridge University Press: Oxford, UK.
- Soh, K. (2017). Fostering Student Creativity through Teacher Behaviors, Thinking Skills and Creativity, 23, 58-66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tsc.2016.11.002
- Tan, L. S., Lee, S. S., Ponnusamy, L. D., Koh, E. R., & Tan, C. K. (2016). Fostering Creativity in the Classroom for High Ability Students: Context Does Matter, Educ. Sci., 6, (36). https://doi.org/10.3390/EDUCSCI6040036
- Thammineni, H. B. (2012). Creativity, the Crux of English Language Teaching and Learning. IUP Journal of Soft Skills, 6 (1), 65-71. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2152956
- Torrance, E. P. (1977). Creativity in the classroom, Washington, DC: National Education Association.
- Troman, G.; Jeffrey, B.; Raggl, A. (2007). Creativity and Performativity Policies in Primary School Cultures, J. Educ. Policy, 22, 549–572. https://doi.org/10.1080/02680930701541741
- Ward T. B., Smith, S. M. & Vaid, J. (1997). Conceptual Structures and Processes in Creative thought, in Creative Thought: An investigation of conceptual structures and processes. Washington DC: American Psychological Association. 1997.
- Ward, T. B., Finke, R. A., Smith, S. M. (1995). Creativity and the Mind, New York Plenum Press.