Main Article Content
This qualitative study explored parental perceptions regarding parent's choice of quality childcare centers in urban areas of Karachi, Pakistan. Sixteen participants were selected from two centers in different geographical areas. For parents, the most common reason for selecting the childcare centers was the lack of other available options such as family support. Availability and accessibility of childcare centers were reported as supporting factors, while lack of family support, lack of information, and violent city conditions were identified as barriers to choosing childcare centers. In addition, husband support was perceived as a facilitator and a barrier to choosing childcare centers.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Abdul Qayyum, Ch., Hassan, SM. & Zafar, A. (2015). A study of mother's knowledge about childcare and care practices in Lahore, Pakistan. Bulletin of Education and Research. Vol. 37, No. 2 pp. 1-09. Retrieved 2-12-2020 from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/292150996_A_Study_of_Mother's_Knowledge_about_Childcare_and_Care_Practices_in_Lahore_Pakistan
- Aga Khan Foundation, Pakistan. (2003). Early Childhood Care and Development in Pakistan: A Second Review. 1-28
- Arnold, C, Bartlett, K, Gowani, S, Merali, R. (2006). Is everybody ready? Readiness, transition, and continuity: Lessons, reflections, and way forward. Retrieved 22-10-2011, from www.dise.in/.../Caroline%20Arnold.
- Arnold, C. (2001). Early Childhood Development programs and children's rights. Retrieved 23-10-2011, from http://www.crin.org/docs/resources/publications/ECD.pdf.
- Bassok, D., Markowitz, A.J., Player, D., Zagardo, M. (2018). Are parent's ratings and satisfaction with pre-schools related to program features? The University of Virginia. Retrieved 2-12-2020 from https://doi.org/10.1177/2332858418759954
- Boo, F.L., Araujo, M.C. & Tome', R. (2016). How is childcare quality measured: A tool kit. IDB. Retrieved 17-4-2019 from https://publications.iadb.org/en/bitstream/...How-is-child-care-quality-measured.pdf
- Barnes, J, Leach, P, Sylva, K, Stein, A, Malmberg LE, Godlieb, J, Hague, L, Nichols, M, Ram, B, Triner, A, Walker, J. (2006). Infant care in England: Mother's aspirations, experiences, satisfaction and caregiver relationships. Early Child Development and Care. 176 (6) in press. DOI:10.1080/03004430500317408. Retrieved 1-5-2012, from http://www.familieschildrenchildcare.org/images/18story_pdf.pdf.
- Brinks, JP & Wood, MJ. (1998). Exploratory Designs. Advanced Design in Nursing Research. (2nd Ed.) New Delhi: SAGE publication. 309, 319, 322.
- Bowling, A, Ebrahim, S. (2005). Handbook of health research methods: investigation, measurement, and analysis. Open University Press. 226.
- Boyce, C, Neale, P. (May 2006). Conducting in-depth interviews: A guide for designing and conducting in-depth interviews for evaluation input. Pathfinder International Tool Series: Monitoring and evaluation-2. Retrieved 29-10-2009, from: http://www.pathfind.org/site/DocServer/m_e_tool_series_indepth_interviews.pdf?docID=6301.
- Burns, N, Grove, SK. (2001). The practice of nursing research: Conduct, critique and utilization. (4th Ed). WB Saunders Company.
- Canadian Council on Learning. (2001). Why is high-quality childcare essential? The link between quality childcare and early learning: Lessons in Learning. Retrieved 12-9-2011, from www.ccl-cca.ca/pdfs/.../LessoninLearninghighqualitychildcareEN.pdf.
- Canadian Council on Learning. (2006). Why is high-quality childcare essential? The link between quality childcare and early learning: Lessons in Learning. Retrieved 12-9-2011, from http://www.ccl-cca.ca/pdfs/ECLKC/lessons/LearningthroughPlay_LinL.pdf.
- Child Action, Inc. California Department of Education, Child Development Division. (n.d.). High-quality childcare: Your guide to finding and selecting the best care for your child. Retrieved 7-9-2011, from www.childaction.org/families/.../Choosing_Your_Childs_Care_b.pdf.
- Child Care Advocacy Association of Canada Fact Sheet. (2004). What do we mean by quality childcare and Developmentally Appropriate programming? Retrieved 24-10-2011, from www.ccaac.ca/pdf/resources/factsheets/quality.pdf.
- Cleveland, G, Corter, C, Pelletier, J, Colley, S, Bertrand, J. (2006). A review of the state of the field of Early Childhood Learning and Development in childcare, Kindergarten, and family support programs. Atkinson Center for Society and Child Development. Retrieved 6-12-2011, from http://www.ccl-cca.ca/pdfs/StateOfField/SFREarlyChildhoodLearning.pdf.
- Creswell, JW. (2008). Educational Research: Planning, conducting, and evaluating quantitative research. 3rd. Ed. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.
- C.S. Mott Children's Hospital: Michigan Medicine. (2017). National Poll on Children's Health. Childcare Choices: What's important to parents? Volume 30. Issue 4. Retrieved on 17-9-2019 from https://mottpoll.org/sites/default/files/documents/112017_ChildcareSafety.pdf
- Da Silva, L, Wise, S. (2009). Parent perspectives on childcare quality among a culturally diverse sample. Australian Journal of Early childhood. Retrieved 5-11-2011, from http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb6418/is_3_31/ai_n31677014/?tag=mantle_skin;content.
- Engle, PL, Black, MM, Behrman, JR, Cabral de Mello, M, Gertler, PJ, Kapiriri, L, Martorell, R, Young, ME. (2007). Strategies to avoid the loss of developmental potential in more than 200 million children in the developing world. Child Development in Developing Countries 3. The Lancet. 358. Retrieved 24-10-2011, from www.who.int/child_adolescent.../lancet_child_dev_series_paper3.pdf.
- Espey, J. (2003). Perceptions Of Quality Child Care: Final Report. Espey & Good Company. Retrieved 22-3-2006, from www.childcareadvocacy.ca/resources/pdf.
- Etse, S. (2004). Parents' and Other Caregivers' Perception of Early Childhood Development Needs and Quality: A Study of the PLAN-Assisted Program in Bawjiase, Ghana. The University of Victoria. Retrieved 5-10-2011, from www.ecdvu.org/ssa/downloads/major_projects. [Accessed on 5-10-2011].
- Foley, D, Goldfeld, S, McLaughlin, J, Nagorcka, J, Oberklaid, F, Wake, M. (2000). A review of Early Childhood Literature. Center for Community Child Health. Retrieved 15-10-2011, from www.aifs.gov.au/cafca/ppp/docs/CCCH_early_childhood.pdf.
- Forry, N.D., Tout, K, Rothenberg, L., Sandstorm, H., Vesely. C. (2013). Child Care decision-making literature review. OPRE Brief 2013-45. Washington, DC: Office of Planning, Research and Evaluation, Administration for Children and Families, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Retrieved 2-12-2020 from https://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/opre/child_care_decision_making_literature_review_pdf_version_v2.pdf
- Goodfellow, J. (2004). Reframing Early Education: What Do Parents Value For Their Children? The University of Western Sydney-Penrith. Retrieved 17-3-2006, from http://www.aare.edu.au/01pap/goo01369.htm.
- Hirani, SAA. (2008). Childrearing practices in Pakistan and associated challenges for healthcare professionals. Global Unity for Neonatal Nurses. Retrieved 22-11-2011, from http://www.coinnurses.org/2_newsletters/archieved/September08.pdf.
- Hein, C, Cassirer, N. (2010). Workplace solutions for childcare. The International Labor Organization: Geneva. Retrieved 22-9-2011, from www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/.../@publ/.../wcms_110387.pdf.
- Henthorne, K. & Harkins, J. (2005). Insight 13: Parents' Demand for and Access to Childcare in Scotland. Retrieved 22-3-2006, from http://www.scotland.gov.uk/library5/education.
- Hussain, I & Sultan, S. (2010). Parent's literacy and pre-school education: A study of practices and problems of early childhood education in Pakistan. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 2 (2):624-628. Retrieved 2-12-2020 from DOI:10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.03.074
- Ispa, JM, Thornburg, KR, Venter-Barkley, J. (1998). Parental childcare selection criteria and program quality in Metropolitan and Non-Metropolitan communities. Journal of Research in Rural Education. Spring. 14, (1), 3-14. Retrieved 7-9-2011, from http://www.jrre.psu.edu/articles/v14,n1,p3-14,ispa.pdf .
- Jamieson, J., Bertrand, J, Ibrahim, E. (2005). The Science of Early Child Development. Winnipeg: Red River College.
- Khan, M.N. (2018). Working Pakistani mothers find solace in daycares but is society ready to accept it? Dawn. Retrieved 17-4-2019 from: https://images.dawn.com/news/1181132/working-pakistani-mothers-find-solace-in-day-cares-but-is-society-ready-to-accept-it
- Khan, N., Bhatti, M.A., Hussain, K.S. & Bano, S.S. (2017). Early Childhood Education in Pakistan. Academy of Educational Planning and Management Ministry of Federal Education and Professional Training Islamabad. Retrieved 2-12-2020 from http://library.aepam.edu.pk/Books/Early%20childhood%20education%20in%20Pakistan%202017.pdf
- Koslowski, A, McLEan, C, Naumann, I. (2015). Report on incentive structures of parent's use of particular childcare forms. Families and Societies: Working Paper Series. Retrieved on 17-9-2019 from http://www.familiesandsocieties.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/WP35KoslowskiEtAl2015.pdf
- Lobiondo-Wood, G & Haber, J. (2006). Introduction to Qualitative Research. In Nursing Research: Methods & Critical Appraisal for Evidence Based Practice. New York: Mosby. p. 135.
- Malik, S. (2009). Daycare centers lack basic facilities. Retrieved 4-10-2011, from http://www.nation.com.pk/pakistan-news-newspaper-daily-english-online/Islamabad/10-Apr-2009/Day-care-centres-lack-basic-facilities.
- Manfra, Carlo & Coggeshall (n.d.). Parent perceptions about quality childcare. Department of Human Development and Family Studies. University of Missourri. Retrieved 17-4-2019 from: https://dss.mo.gov/cbec/pdf/parent-perception-report.pdf
- Masse, LN, Barnett, WS. (n.d.). A benefit cost analysis of the Abecedarian Early Childhood Intervention. National Institute for Early Education Research. Retrieved 6-12-2011, from www.nieer.org/resources/research/AbecedarianStudy.pdf.
- McLaughlin, FE, Mrascuilo, LA. (1990). Introduction to exploratory descriptive research approaches to investigate nursing phenomena. Advanced nursing and health care: Research quantification approaches. Chapter 7. Saunders Company: Philadelphia. 148.
- Mehra, R, Kurz, K, Paolisso, M. (n.d.). Childcare options for working mothers in developing countries. International Center for Women. Retrieved 24-10-2011, from www.pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/PNABT180.pdf.
- Michie, M. (2014). "Parents and Pre-school Decisions: How Networks, Research, and Priorities Affect Program Choice". Undergraduate Honors Theses. Paper 93. Retrieved 1-12-2020 from https://scholarworks.wm.edu/honorstheses/93
- Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada. (2003). Building an Early childhood Development system utilizing a population health perspective: A tool for reviewing current approaches. Report of the Federal/Provincial/Territorial Advisory Committee on Population Health and Health Security. Retrieved 5-10-2011, from www.dsp-psd.pwgsc.gc.ca/Collection/H38-667-2003E.pdf.
- My Islamabad.Net. (2009). Retrieved 21-11-2011, from http://www.myislamabad.net/. National Association of Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies (NACCRRA). (Sept 2010). The economy's impact on parent's choices and perceptions about childcare. Retrieved 7-9-2011, from www.naccrra.org.
- Nor, AO, Nor, AK, Dewi, AS, Norzalita, AA, Muhamad, AN. (2010). Service quality and value affecting parent's satisfaction and behavioral intentions in a childcare center using a structural approach. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. 4(9): 4329-4347. Retrieved 22-9-2011, from http://insipub.net/ajbas/2010/4329-4347.pdf.
- Pearlmutter, S, Bartle, EE. (2004). Participant's perceptions of the childcare subsidy system. Journal of Sociology and Social Welfare. Retrieved 7-9-2011, from http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0CYZ/is_4_30/ai_111933188/.
- Peyton, V, Jacobs, A, Brien, MO, Roy, C (2001). Reasons for choosing childcare: association with family factors, quality, and satisfaction. Early Childhood Research Quarterly. 16 (2001). 191–208. Retrieved 17-4-2019 from https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0885200601000989
- Raikes, H, Wilcox, B, Peterson, C, Hegland, S, Atwater, J, Summers, JA, Thornburg, K, Scott, J, Mayfield, W, Torquati, J, Edwards, CP. (2005). Parent perceptions of childcare choice and quality in four States. University of Nebraska, Lincoln. Retrieved 7-9-2011, from www.digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1016...
- Saqib, A. (2008). Needs Assessment Report: Creche (Daycare Centers) for Children of Working Women. Women Employment Concerns and Working Condition s in Pakistan (WEC-PK). Retrieved on 11-9-2019 from https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---asia/---ro-bangkok/---ilo-islamabad/documents/publication/wcms_122322.pdf
- Shahid, A. (2007). Silent voices: Untold stories. Women domestic workers in Pakistan and their struggle for empowerment. PhD thesis for the University of Warwick. Retrieved 22-11-2011, from http://wrap.warwick.ac.uk/2430/1/WRAP_THESIS_Shahid_2007.pdf.
- Schpancer, N. (2017). Non Parental daycare: What the research tells us. Psychology Today. Retrieved 17-4-2019 from: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/insight-therapy/201710/nonparental-daycare-what-the-research-tells-us
- The World Bank Group. (2011). Benefits of Early Childhood Development. Retrieved 24-10-2011, from http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/TOPICS/EXTCY/EXTECD/0,,contentMDK:20258127~menuPK:527099~pagePK:148956~piPK:216608~theSitePK:334938,00.html.
- US Department of Health and Human Services. (2006). The NICHD study of early childcare and youth development: Findings for children upto age 4 1/2 years. Retrieved 10-12-2011, from http://www.nichd.nih.gov/publications/pubs/upload/seccyd_051206.pdf.
- Vandenbroeck, M, De-Visscher, S, Nuffel, KV, Ferla, J. (2008). Mother's search for infant childcare: The dynamic relationship between availability and desirability in a Continental European welfare state. Early Childhood Research Quarterly. 23, 244–258. Retrieved 11-10-2011, from http://www.easyprague.cz/eecera2007/download/files/Mothers%20search%20for%20infant%20child%20care.pdf.
- Weaven, S, Grace, D. (2010). Examining parental and staff perceptions of childcare services quality across competing business structures. Australasian Journal of Early Childhood. 35 (2). Retrieved 7-9-2011, from www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org.au/.../examining_parental_and_staf.
- Workman, S & Ullrich, R. (2017). Quality 101: Identifying the core components of a High-Quality Early Childhood Programs. Centre for American Progress. Retrieved 17-4-2019 from: https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/early-childhood/reports/2017/02/13/414939/quality-101-identifying-the-core-components-of-a-high-quality-early-childhood-program/
- Yousafzai, MS & Gul, De L. (2019). Childhood education in Pakistan. International Conference on Future of Teaching and Education in Prague, Czech Republic. Retrieved 2-12-2020 from https://www.dpublication.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/ICFTE-419.pdf
- Zahidi, F. (2019). Not enough daycare facilities. The News on Sunday (TNS). Retrieved 17-4-2019 from: http://tns.thenews.com.pk/enough-daycare-facilities/#.XLbHJy2B0iM